Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Final Project

For my conceptual piece I plan to purposely exaggerate the contemporary view of graffiti in our culture. Through out the 1060's and 70's graffiti was this illegal underground art, that people took risk to put up. This caused legislation to make graffiti illegal, having it removed when seen. Graffiti artist then became extremely territorial and competitive. In the early 1980's Die Hard Era, graffiti moved into the rap scene, starting it down the commercial track. As graffiti became more popular and new artist appeared it became more acceptable in the public eye. In the 1990's the clean train movement took place, removing graffiti from train cars, building etc. Graffiti artist then moved their street art into galleries, making it more commercial. Now Graffiti is a design element seen in music videos, t-shirts, wall hangings, video games, posters and more.
For my project I plan on taking pictures of both graffiti and everyday items and sandwich printing them together. In doing this I hope to show this purpose exaggeration. To incorporate color, I plan on hand coloring parts of the graffiti to further emphasize it.

No comments: