Thursday, October 11, 2007

Marcel Duchamp-, "The Bride"

When i first looked at this piece my eyes were immediately drawn to the top cloud with the three squares. The white squares contrasting the dark cloud drew my attention. To the left it looked like a robotic person holding his robotic dog on a leash. The bottom section looked like a factory to me. I immediately thought of meat factories, especially with the objects hanging on the left side. I also found out that the cracks in the picture are unintentional. It was dropped while being moved.

After discussing, listening to the essay about Duchamp, and looking up him I found that this picture is very sexual and involves a bride and bachelors, it is very erotic. He shows this through geometric and organic shapes on two planes. The bride is supposed to be like a motor which produces this 'love gasoline' that sparks stripping. The figures hanging in the bottom left are the nine bachelors that are suppose to strip this mechanical bride.

I think what makes this art work interesting is the time period it was made in. When Duchamp made this controversial piece, art was very conservative. This piece has such a unique meaning to it and people during his time had to of found it appalling. I thought it was interesting how Duchamp considers this to be his funny piece, I don't think it's funny. If anything I think it is a little weird. I think that this piece has a lot to say, and I like how its meaning isn't direct, it takes a lot of studying to understand. That is what makes him and his art so interesting even today.

No comments: